Fish En Croute
- 1 fish fillet, about 200 to 250g (if you are using frozen ones, allow time to thaw) - I used cream snapper
- 1/2 wedge of lemon
- Large pinch of salt
- Large pinch of black pepper
- Frozen garden vegetables like peas, carrots and corn, thawed, rinsed and drained
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Briefly rinse fish fillet and pat dry with paper towels. In a shallow dish, marinate the fish with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Put aside for about 10 to 20 mins (but not over 1 hour, as the acidic lemon juice will render the fish tough and "overcooked").
2. Preheat your oven to 200°C.
3. Place thawed puff pastry on a plastic sheet (I did not roll it out any thinner, but next time, I will ... just a bit thinner would have been nicer). Arrange the garden vegetables in a rectangle, then top with the fillet.
4. Carefully roll up into a parcel. I have seen different ways of doing this - some use 2 sheets (top & bottom), some roll it all up in 1 sheet. Some like to show the seams (and decorate it with fork marks), some tuck them under. I rolled it up like I would a spring roll, placed it seamside down, and trimmed off the excess. LOL. As long as the edges overlap and the filling doesn't fall out, it's good enough. Don't overlap too much or you will get a thick pastry that won't bake through.
5. Carefully transfer the Snapper En Croute on a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper. Brush the top with egg wash.
6. Using the excess puff pastry dough, cut long strips and arrange them in a criss-cross fashion on top of the En Croute. Make small slashes along these strips so that they are not visible (these slashes will allow the steam to escape while cooking). Brush with a little more egg wash.
7. Bake for about 20 mins until the top is golden brown and crisp. Allow to cool on a rack for about 10 mins before serving. You can serve it along with sauces - lemon butter or honey-mustard would be nice - but on its own, it is already very delicious. Bon Appétit!
|Fish En Croute|
Garlicky Oven Fries
Be sure to use potatoes of a simple size and cut them into even wedges so all of the pieces cook at the same rate.
Traditional finish andnonstick baking sheets. Both work well for this recipes.
6 garilc cloves,minced
6 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 russets potatoes (about 8 ozs each) , scrubbed and each cut into 12 wedges
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1-1/2 tsp salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1.Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 475 degrees.
Combine garlic and oil in large bowl and microwave until garlic is fragant, about 1 minute.
Transfer 5 Tbsp oil (leaving garlic in bowl) to rimmed baking sheet,turning sheet to coat.
2.Add potatoes to bowl with remaining oil mixture and toss to coat.
Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high power until potatoes are translucent around edges,
3 to 6 minutes, shaking bowl to redistribute potatoes halfway through cooking.
3.Combine cornstarch,salt,pepper, and garlic powder in small bowl.
Sprinkle over hot potatoes and toss to coat.
Arrange potatoes in single layer on prepared baking sheet and bake,turning once, until deep golden brown and crisp, 30 to 40 minutes.
|Garlicky Oven Fries|