September 8, 2011

A Spam Challenge

 My dear Friend Lisa at The Moonlit Stitch has made a spam challenge. Let me tell you I grew up on Spam and I haven't eaten it since I was probably about 16 years old. My mother use to make this casserole with it. The recipe belonged to my grandmother. Now that tell you how long Spam has been around.

Lisa gave you a recipe challenge. Well Im going to add another challenge to that list. Here is my Grandmother recipes she use to make with Spam.

Picnic Casserole

1- 8 oz box macaroni
1-10oz can of cream of mushroom or celery condensed soup
1/4 lb of processed cheese (grated or cut into squares)
1 c. milk
1 Tbsp each, chopped onions and chopped peppers
Can of Spam, cut into 12 slices at 1/4" thick

Directions:
Cook macaroni as directed on package and drain.
Combine soup,milk,chopped onions and chopped peppers in a pan over low heat.
Add cheese, Stir occasional until it's all melted.
After cheese is completely melted
Add the drained  marconi to the cheese mixture and mix well.
Pour half of the pasta mixture in a 1 1/4 qt casserole dish and spread evenly.
Top with 6 slices of Spam , then add more mixture on top of the Spam, then add remaining Spam on top.

Bake at 325 degrees for about 20 to 30 minutes or until the sauce is boiling.

There you have it!  

Bon Appetit!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have not eaten spam in almost 40 years! I didn't like it because it was too salty. Is it still!

The Moonlit Stitch said...

This sounds good Patti! Thanks for sharing - can't wait to see your other recipes! ~*~Lisa

TheCrankyCrow said...

Hmmmmm....I will take that under serious consideration. I told Lisa I actually still stock a can of Spam in my pantry "just in case" ("just in case" of WHAT??!) But haven't had it in years....We had it on fried on bread w/ cheese, or fried as a side to eggs for breakfast....Guess frying anything in enough butter will cure it....but, gee...I'm not sure if I'm ready for Spam a la casserole!!! :o) Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin